1. As much as possible, live peacefully with other nations.
2. Keep church and state entirely separate.
3. Be good stewards to the environment, even if it hurts the economy.
4. Let people do what they will provided they are not hurting or infringing on the rights of others.
5. Let markets run free with a watchful eye towards fairness.
6. Enforce the same rules for everybody.
7. Be fiscally conservative. Spend less than we bring in.
8. Eliminate poverty.
9. Accept reality — do not govern by wishful thinking.
10. Provide security and strong defense to the people.
This seems obvious to me. It’s probably just a start on what we agree that government should do.
Just to illustrate a point, Bush does not, apparently, believe in #1, #2, #3, #4, #6, #7, #8 or #9. The facts on the ground would not give you reason to believe that those are in his platform.
We can agree on stuff. We can govern based on that agreement. We aren’t doing that.